Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tea...Drink to your health!

This year for my New Year Resolutions I wanted to relax more and try to relieve stress more often. My first step was to switch from coffee to tea. Throughout my life tea seems to have a calming effect on me and now the research is backing up what my body already knew. I have tried all types of teas, iced or hot, and always come back to the soothing and health benefits of tea. 

Did you know that tea contains flavenoids which may be linked to decreasing certain cancer risks? Flavenoids are phytonutrients that work at a molecular level to, put simply, clean up the bad cells in the body.  I love the fact that drinking something may actually make me healthier and tea is on top of the list of healthy drinks. Just like eating blueberries or kale, teas are rich in antioxidants which work to rid the body of free radicals, which are also simply, the bad cells in the body. Tea is lower in caffeine than coffee and some studies have shown that tea may increase mental alertness and promote weight loss.   

Green, white, black and oolong teas have the most concentrated amounts of antioxidants. So these teas should take precedence when choosing a tea that has the best nutritional bang for the bag!


As a side note, not all teas are created equal and one should avoid bottled teas with added sugars and flavors, instant teas,  "dieters tea" and those teas that promise to kill pain or treat cancer or any other disease.

After trying many different kinds of teas I have to recommend #The RepublicofTea for their great tasting teas and awesome assortment of flavors. They have every tea you can imagine and I have yet to be disappointed. To order their teas click here. 

One last item I would like to include this week in my rave about tea is a tea smoothie! Smoothies are a great way to jam pack in a lot of nutrients from healthy fruits and vegetables. Tea provides that extra boost of antioxidants to help the body even more. Enjoy!

Pom-Berry Green Tea Smoothie

1/2 cup Pom Seeds
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen blackberries
1 banana
2 cups milk (soy, low fat dairy or almond)
1/2 cup brewed green tea
Optional: sweetener of choice

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. 
Makes 2 - 2 cup servings.


Don't forget to "Like" us on Facebook: ABCD Eat Right
Check out our free printables and
 services at: Americas Dietitian.com

No comments:

Post a Comment